In Maples we invited our parents in to help us build London Town. We used boxes and straw and paint. We had lots of fun building, sticking and painting.
During interfaith week Maples learnt about Christianity. We looked at the story of Creation, Adam and Eve and Noah. We then shared our learning with Acorns. Acorns then told us what they had learnt in Judaism. We really enjoyed our week!
Maples have been learning all about The Great Fire of London this term. Look at our wonderful work on our display. The children have learnt how to write exclamations and questions. They have described what the fire would have looked like. Throughout the next couple of weeks the children will be adding more writing to the display. Well done Maples you are on Fire!
Maples working extremely hard this term!
Focusing on their athletics this term, practicing their jumping and throwing in different ways, as well as running short and long distance!
Great work Hazels class!
We started this term making our own dragon eggs, to begin our ‘Castles and Dragons’ topic.
During e-safety week, we learned how to send emails and wrote our own emails to ‘Uncle Morton’ about his dragon who had come to stay at our house. We used questions, commands and statements in our emails.
In mathematics we have been learning about gathering information and presenting it in different graphs and charts. We have used tally charts, pictograms and bar charts. We have also been learning more about shapes and their properties, as well as symmetry.
We have been working hard on improving our handwriting. Look at the improvements some of our class have made!
SATs… coming soon!
With the SATs fast approaching, some parents have been asking how they can best support their children from home. Working a little each day with your child at home can have a big impact on their progress in school. Below are some ideas of ways you can support your child’s progress from home.
- Online games – mathematics games, reading and spelling games. Sites such as topmarks.co.uk, www.ictgames.com and www.mathsframe.co.uk have lots of fun games that enable children to learn in a fun way.
- Hear your child read. This can be anything – books, magazines, webpages, newspapers, even the TV guide!
- Practise spelling the year 1 and year 2 spelling. Write them in different coloured pens, play hangman, write them in bubble letters or writing sentences using the words. Encourage your child to focus on their handwriting too.
- Learning songs can also help learning. Search for times tables songs, statement, question, command and exclamation song, songs about verbs, nouns and adjectives.
- Don’t forget the children can use their school logins from home for Mathletics, Spelling Shed and Teach your Monster to Read. If you need your child’s login details again, please ask Miss Loader.
The topic for the autumn term has been ‘The Animal Kingdom’. The children have worked so hard on a range of tasks and activities. We have learned about animals such as meerkats, tigers and penguins. We even made our very own animal documentary using the green screen at The Word in South Shields!
Our topic board displays some of the fabulous work produced in the autumn term!